Friday, September 21, 2007

some new hope!

About a week ago I started having an impression that I needed to take medicine for my Mal de Debarquement but I didn't know what and I didn't know which doctor to go to. I hadn't really found a doctor up to this point that had even heard of my disease. Well, a month ago or so I was on a website reading about my MDDS and I remembered seeing a doctor's name that was in Ogden. I hadn't checked him out previously because I also found my vestibular therapist's name on a MDDS website and he knew nothing about it. Monday morning I woke up and told Kerry that I needed to go to this doctor and all of the sudden his name came to my mind. Dr. Owens. I opened the phone book and there he was Dr. William Owens eye and ear neurologist. I called and told them I had MDDS and they told me to come right in (how often does that happen with a specialist?) I went in and they ran some very thorough tests, I then saw DR. Owens who is extremely knowledgeable about my disease. He used to be a doctor in the Navy so he saw many sailors go out to sea and get this problem. He also worked in Long Beach California where all the cruise ships were and had many patients get ill from the cruises. The way he explained it was I have an inner ear disease called irritable labyrinth with motion intolerance. It never goes away but it can go into remission. I guess that's what happened when it finally went away last time. He prescribed me a drug that he says helps 9 out of 10 people, he said the 10th person usually has it forever, but I don't feel like that will be me. For some reason when people with the irritable labyrinth go on boats or other forms of motion their ears don't calm down and they get Mal De Debarquement syndrome. I have been taking my drugs for four days now and I am praying hard that it will work. All the Young Women leaders fasted for me yesterday and we went to the Temple together last night. The doctor said it would take weeks for the drug to get into my system, so I probably won't know for a while if it's working, but I really believe it will. I also now have hope that I will be able to travel again!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I have MdDs and two years ago, I went through intensive vestibular rehabilitation therapy at NYU and was prescribed Topamax which I believe "cured" or at least has relieved me of my symptoms...I have been able to travel (by boat, plane, etc) and haven't had a recurrence for months. Good luck to you, it is a nightmare!

Sherri said...

Hey someone found you with the same problem, Heta. I hope it works for you so we can hang out again. You need to check out my blog about my husband... Read it til the very last. Good luck. Keep you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I pray this is the answer for you. Love you, Pam

Anonymous said...

hi my MdDs - friends.i`m from switzerland and i`ve searched a long time for some informations about this syndrome!in switzerland we have only a coupple of doctors ho know about this problem.it`s sad because nobody knows about medicine ho can help and at least they`re not interrest to help.so now i search all over the world for possibilitys.maybe someone out there ho has the same problem can help me! if you got a good idea or a name of a medicament that helps please write me a e-mail on yasmine.dardel@swissonline.ch
thanx and i pray that one day we`ll be fine again!