Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More Ovaltine please!

Ok, so here's my rant for today. This rant may be about me or commercials, I'm not even sure. Lets start here....
I'm not the kind of mom who relishes in having the whole neighborhood in my house at once. Does that make me bad? I just keep thinking of the commercials from when I was little. You know like the Ovaltine one where all the kids come running into the kitchen screaming "we want ovaltine". The mother very kindly smiles and immediately starts preparing the desired drink. I am so not that mother! Or the one that's on TV rightnow for Totinos pizza rolls, you know the one where the kid punches a hole through the kitchen wall because he's too lazy to walk into the next room to get them. There's no way I'd smile to myself and say "ok"! Or do y'all remember the one where the kid spills punch or something on the carpet and the mom smiles and says "that's okay"! You know she's totally down with it because she's got resolve carpet cleaner to remove the stain. I am the mother that gets frazzled every time the kids have friends over because I spend the whole time refilling drinks, refereeing fights or telling them to close the front or back door. I love that there's literally a friend for my girls in every house on our street, BUT I don't love them all in my house. Truth is I love them at someone else's house! I was going to say I don't even mind it when they're all in my yard, but that's not even true. I always end up outside helping someone get off and on the tramp three hundred times or getting drinks for every thirsty kid out there. Worst of all is when the friends come running in my house to tattle on the other friends and I end up outside telling neighbor 1 to be nice to neighbor 2. By now you're totally thinking "this woman is pure evil and shouldn't even be allowed to have children" right? I think I'm just having a hard mommy day today. It's not the first and it certainly won't be the last!
P.S. I am not endorsing or dissing on any of the above products, I'm sure they're just great.

9 comments:

Sherri said...

That is one of the hardest things to deal with as your kids get older. I had 2 crying girls today at 4 p.m. because they didn't get to play with a certain friend. Quincy has hung out at a friend's house (not in our neighborhood, but from school) for the last few days for several hours at a time. I feel bad because I don't reciprocate. But his friend's family only has 2 kids, what's one more? I'm right there with you on this. For the past few summers, Quincy would disapear to Jeremy's house for almost the whole day, but they have 3 boys and at home he's the only one, so I figure it's good for him. Summer's almost over; that will help.

MelodylovesHuggie said...

I can't help but picture your Mom's house in Riverdale. You ran around in a pack from house to house. What made it worse is most of the time all of you were soaking wet from coming in from the swimming pool...this is why sometimes we look back at our parents and label them "SAINTS"! I think she always had a smile on her face as you kids ran in and out...BUT, you also have to consider the age...I hope it will get better when they get older and they can climb on the tramp themselves..and get their own drink. Sherri is right, someday they will both be in school all day!

kelly said...

Dude. I could have written this post. I am not the mom that loves all the friends over here either. I especially hate when some neighbor kid comes in my house to tattle on MY kid. I'm all...well then go home.

I am evil...but somehow I think I'll like the friends better when they are teenagers. They seem more like people then.

Anonymous said...

Is there a mom that enjoys all the kids over? Right after we moved here I would look out the back window and see 18 boys in my backyard playing baseball, only two of them were mine...I was thrilled by that. Mind you, we'd never had kids in the neighborhood, and they didn't come IN my house. Most of them were 10 so I didn't even have to go out...That I loved! NOW, when school dances come around, I want the big basement with the pool & foozball tables and home theater system complete with soda bar...that way they can all come over after the dance, we'd be the "cool" house, and my kids wouldn't have to blame the fact that there is NO WAY they are getting a hotel room after prom (as is so common here) on their mom...although I think I can take it!! Little ones though....no, I hate it! I end up being the playmate, and that's just too much work for me!

Robyn

Anonymous said...

Heather, I am sure it was hard at the time. But I would love to have all of you little blonde- green haired little girls at my house again playing barbies. Pam

The Doutre Family said...

I love her haircut! So cute! I know how you feel about the neighbor kids. I had to deal with that for a couple months. Then we moved to the country where we don't have neighbors. Problem solved! I do miss them having friends close by though. We should get together. Maybe the Treehouse?

Unknown said...

Jeesh.... I am still the hangout for the younger kids in the neighborhood...like the 6-9 year olds.... and the sad part is, my kids are no where to be found, cause they are so much older. They just help themselves to my yard, like it's a community park....it is starting to drive me a little nutty.... Joey

Unknown said...

Oh, and hey... I like this new background better.... Joey

Tauna Isenhour said...

they start kids in Pre K here all day long JR will be going to school starting next week and I am looking forward to it and I know what you mean I don't mind the neighbors coming over but I also have 12 year old that like to come hang out and they like to play with my kids and kinda give me a break and man that makes a difference also. Don't fret non of us are judging you and if anyone is they have no kids or are saints... Love ya and just keep trying to smile or fake it.:)