Monday, July 21, 2008

Ever heard the expression

"Growin like a weed"



You probably think I am talking about one of my kids don't you? Nope, you see I have something to admit, something that's a little embarrassing to me.

It all started this spring when I noticed a beautiful new plant growing in my flower bed. This plant was so tropical looking and I took such good care of it. Neighbors would pass by and tell me my yard looked nice and I would quickly draw attention to my mystery tropical plant growing. This is how the dialogue would go.

Neighbor: Hey, your yard sure is starting to look nice.

Me: Oh thankyou!! Don't you love my plant growing over there, I don't even remember planting it but it is my favorite!

Neighbor: Hmm



This happened with any neighbor that would pass by, I would gush on and on about my beautiful new plant that I didn't remember planting. I would go out each day and water it and give it extra TLC, it was like a baby growing right before my eyes. I even went out and tied a string around it so its precious stalks wouldn't get trampled on when I turned my hose on and off. I remembered on several occasions thinking to myself" self, why did you plant such a large glorious plant so close to your path which leads to the hose"? I even drew my neighbor Tamron into the magical allure of my favorite plant. She would come over and we would sit on the porch and admire the tropical looking plant that made us swear we were in Hawaii instead of Utah. We would often comment on how quickly my plant grew and we wondered when it would start to bloom and what the flowers would look like. Oh how proud I was of my beautiful plant!!

Well one day when I was out basking in the glory of my plant hand watering it and talking to it, my cute husband came outside. You see, I was always trying to make him appreciate the mystery plant and he never gushed like I thought he should. Well, not only did he not gush this day but he said these seven words which changed everything " are you sure it's not a weed"? Oh my heck, he might as well have stabbed me in the back. All my grand illusions of being the only tropical plant owner in the neighborhood were shattered. I started to look at my prized foliage in a different, new light. No, now that you mention it I'm not sure it's not a weed. I continued to fret and even brought Tamron over to ask her opinion. "No way that beautiful creature is a weed she said". She even invited me over to her backyard which isn't finished yet and had me look at the hundred different varities of weeds growing there. Surely, every weed native to this area would be in her backyard right! Well, my tale just gets worse from here. Get a box of tissues handy. A couple days later one of Kerry's buddies was over helping him fix a sprinkler head, this is what went down.

Nate: Hey Kerry, why are you letting that weed get so big?

Kerry: I don't know, Heather thinks its a plant sent from Heaven and she wont cut it down.

Nate: No, dude that's a weed

Who knows what Kerry said next because I couldn't hear him over my sobs.

Anyway, the next day I went outside and sure enough my glorious plant had started blooming into horrible dandelion looking fuzzy things. You know when dandelions turn white and blow everywhere. Ya, thats what my beautiful plant was doing. It was blowing it's beautiful weed seeds all over the neighborhood so the neighbors could be blessed just like me. Here's the thing I still really like my weed when it's trimmed. Do I let it stay or send it packin? I would love to hear what everyone thinks!!! Thanks, Heather with the blue thumb.


above:
Weed grown full size with awful weed seeds all over it.

left: Weed when trimmed, looks like a plant huh!!!

8 comments:

nspency said...

Heather...Keep the beautiful Hawaiian plant! I love your blog and cute pics, so fun to read.

cougblue said...

Oh my dear sister... I have not laughed so hard in quite a while...mom would be sooo proud! Thanks for the laugh...and if it were me, that weed would be history ;) Joey

Kara said...

Lol that is hilarious. As long as it doesn't spread more beautiful plants I would keep it.
ps Brooke told me you ordered stuff at her party but if there is anything you forgot feel free to come tomorrow!

Perla said...

oh man, i was laughing so hard. i can just picture kerry so perfectly asking that horrific question, those seven words you will never forget, "are you sure that's not a weed?" thanks for allowing me to laugh straight out loud for a few minutes.

but in all honesty, who cares if its a weed? it looks awesome! my front yard looks terrible right now. downright hideous actually. i wish my weeds looked lovely like yours!

Anonymous said...

Heather, Loved your story. Well written. I keep any thing that is green and blooms.
Pam

kelly said...

I have heard a quote before that goes something like this:
"A weed is just a plant whose potential hasn't been realized yet."

Wildflowers are also weeds. If you like it, keep it!
That's why it picked your yard to grow in....
it knew you'd appreciate it.

Also, Hi Heather!

Tauna Isenhour said...

I love your weed story because I have had times like this, or think I am doing something right, and then my plants die. hey I can't even keep sometine as simple as aloe vera alive in my house.. how sad is that. It was good to hear from you. /I will add you also.

Jimzz said...

These pesky weeds grow all over my yard. Easy to pull, just grab and yank and the roots usually come out. Remember one man's weed is another man's flower. If it grows real easy it's a weed. If you have to fertilize it, water it, and baby it, it's a flower ; )
JLL